Friday, July 18, 2008

iMac, therefore iAm



Just another step in my continual pursuit of the most forced relevance ever in a blog post title...

After three painful weeks of getting my internet fix via only my cell phone's little 2" screen, I was finally able to pick up my new iMac this afternoon. This will be primarily the business computer, but the family is going to get in some time on the new box here or there, I'm sure. It's a 24" model, and frankly every time I look at the screen I just about get lost in how huge, bright, and clear it is. I've got MS Office all set up, and a copy of QuickBooks Pro to help keep track of business over the next year or so. The wireless connection to the internet, printer, and other computer are working after some tweaking and a ping from Comcast's techs.



I try not to make this too much of a gear lust blog, but sometimes I can't help myself. I've waited too long for this one. The last computer was Dell's bottom of the line econobox six years ago, and it has more than done it's time. It was getting to the point where the monitor was so far gone I couldn't judge image quality hardly at all, and the 30gb (!) C: drive has been stuffed within an inch of it's life for around 18 months now. I've got over 500 gigs worth of external drives just kind of orbiting around the old box, waiting for it to die.

Next project: porting my two Lightroom catalogs over to the new machine, coming up with a logical storage solution, and figuring out how the old box fits into the plan and the network. It's probably going to end up as a dedicated machine to run the slide scanner, working through many, many thousands of my grandpa's old Kodachromes dating all the way back to the early sixties.

We'll be finishing up the details of the business launch budget soon, and there will be a few more nice bits of gear wandering into my camera bag soon. Give it a couple of days, and I'll have some more detail (and pictures) for you. In the meantime, I've got a job to bid for some corporate portraits, so I'm off to dig up John Harrington's "Best Business Practices for Photographers" and remind myself what professional photography is worth in dollars and cents.

And I'll post some pictures too. Gotta have those!

No comments: