Friday, December 21, 2007

Strobist is coming to San Francisco!

Okay, now I'm totally looking like a Strobist fan/geek/stalker. So maybe I am. Nothing wrong with that, right? David's running a seminar on January 19th in San Francisco, and I am going to be there come hell or high water.
Maybe I'll even learn a thing or two....

Meanwhile, I've been playing a bit with my new tool, an old Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AiS lens. I'm not sure how old it is, but the Serial number puts it somewhere between August 1981 and December 2005. Thanks, that narrows it down! Anyway, it's been very interesting, and I think it'll make a superb portrait lens. It seems to have a bit of a glow wide open, which initially seems like softness but all the detail is still there. Managing the tiny DOF is a challenge, as is manually focusing in a D200 viewfinder.
Picture shot wide open at f/2.5

100% crop from the middle of the picture, at the point of focus. Sort of shows the soft/glowing but detailed look I'm getting used to from this excellent lens.

No comments: